Translate

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Luck 'O the Irish Pot of Gold

Hello, friends!  Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by! 

With Saint Pat's day nearly upon us, I thought it would be fun to make a craft fit for the season, which is so whimsical and fun!

To make these door hangers, you will need:

Irish pots in black or green
Gold coins
Cardboard
Ribbon of your choice
Irish figurine
Industrial-strength glue gun and glue sticks
Writing utensil
Scissors


Begin by drawing a template onto your cardboard using the top of your pot.




Cut out.



Measure the cardboard template by placing it onto the rim of your pot,



trim and cut away cardboard until the template fits just inside the rim of the pot.


Bead glue onto the rim of the pot,


and lay the template into place.


On the side where you intend to place your figurine, glue down a small strip of cardboard to reinforce and hold the handle in place in an upright position.


Next, glue the coins down slowly building, layering, gluing some at an angle,


until you have a stack. Be sure to cover up any visible cardboard. 


Finally, glue down your figurine. Isn't he cute?  So jaunty and clever!  :) 


The figurine was ceramic, so compared to the pot, it was rather heavy.  I made sure it would not budge by gluing him down onto the coins,

the handle,

and by gluing a coin onto his back and the coins for further reinforcement. 

Finally, I added a fun ribbon. I measured,

and cut the ribbon exactly in half. 


Dot glue onto the pot


and tie the ribbon.  Once tied, glue the bow into place.  

Finally, remove as much of the hot glue spider-webs as possible. 


Voilà!  You may use these as simple table or vignette décor,



or do as I have done here....I added a small strip of ribbon to hang them on my front doors.


Closeup. 

Where to buy:
Pots, $2.50 each at Hobby Lobby (clearance)
Coins, $1 per package at Big Lots
Ribbon and figurines, Michael's Crafts

You may also use these little guys as centerpieces.  To see them featured in my Tablescape, visit the post on my blog Parsimonious Décor Darling by clicking here.

Please join me and others beginning March 12 at Cuisine Kathleen's annual Saint Patrick's Day Blog Crawl by clicking here.

If you enjoy this post, please visit the archives!  You may also visit my full profile to view my other blogs. Connect with me on my Facebook Page, Parsimonious Décor Darling.   You might like to visit my other blog hubs,

The Marvelous Maison, a lifestyle blog hub and 
Frugal Fab Fashionista, my fashion blog hub. 

Follow me on Pinterest!!  Please be sure to kindly follow the board guidelines, as it takes time and effort to find fabulous pins across the Internet and Pinterest!  Thank you!  

Thank you for stopping by! ❤








8 comments:

  1. Very cute idea! They look cute on the table and the doors. Looks like your table is all ready for St. Patrick's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saved this to see today, and what a treat. How cute!

    Thanks for sharing your craftiness with us!

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those little pots of gold and your table is wonderful! Thanks for the tutorial sharing how to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!!! Easy enough for me to make. And you know that I am NOT the crafty one. Thanks gurl

    ReplyDelete